purely speculation but I'd be willing to bet...

   - App Engine was close to going the way of Wave, the free translate API
   and Labs.

   - someone/some group pushed back hard for one last chance to make it
   profitable with the new pricing model

   - 2011 4th quarter is the make|break time for app engine. If it doesn't
   become profitable right away with the new pricing then the 3 year clock will
   start ticking, probably no later than the 2nd quarter of 2012

I think it's unfair to cast the GAE team as being party to any kind of bait
and switch strategy. From the outside looking in it appears the culture is
changing from being engineering/ideas driven to being business/profit driven
and GAE is just trying to survive the transition. As a very early GAE
adopter, promoter and someone who built a thriving business on Google API's
I hope they get lucky and make it.