I share your sentiment about the SSL support 100%... it's great to finally
have it but the reality is the ecosystem just isn't ready for SNI yet.
 There are still too many browsers that don't support SNI including the
Kindle Fire and every other pre-Ice Cream Sandwich Android device (of which
there are many).   To be honest I expect Google to be a better steward of
the Internet.  Proper SSL support should be encouraged and offered as an
inherent part any professional web development platform.  SSL should NOT be
treated as a major feature upgrade where cost becomes a deciding factor for
adoption.  By favoring SNI Google is compromising the integrity of the
browser experience anytime the overwhelming majority of Android users
browse to a secure App Engine site.

The non-SNI supporting browsers I've tested generate big ol' certificate
warnings and strongly encourage users NOT to continue browsing to the site.
 Users generally have a choice to continue or not but the warnings sound
quite ominous and make it seem like your illegitimate site is pretending to
be someone else's legitimate site ("the certificate this site is using was
issued for another web address").  Unfortunately, adopting SNI right now
just pollutes the browsing experience and makes your site seem shady.
With Internet Explorer if the user clicks through the certificate warning
and continues to you site, the URL input bar stays highlighted with a red
background and an intimidating "certificate error" message is displayed to
the right of the URL.

I'm all for Google profiting from App Engine but it seems like there are
enough other opportunities for that since they monitor and charge for just
about everything else.  I'm still hoping there's enough "don't be evil"
within Google that they decide to favor a seamless browsing experience over
a pay-for-proper-security profit grab.  Perhaps in another 3-5 years the
ecosystem will be more accommodating of SNI but unfortunately that day
isn't here yet.