On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Johan Euphrosine <pro...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried both.  Going ab -> frontend -> backend is _much_ slower than
>>> going directly to a backend.
>>
>> And the numbers you posted were for hitting directly the vps instance? or
>> urlfetch from a frontend?
>
> I'm not sure which exact numbers you are referring to.  The VPS tests
> run 'ab' on the same VPS running the server.

I was referring to the 2000+ qps benchmark result you posted at the
beginning of this thread, it's difficult to compare those with backend
QPS if those are coming from running ab against localhost.

It could be interesting to check what QPS you get when running ab
against App Engine frontend urlfetching to your VPS, so we can compare
with App Engine Backend and Compute.

>  The 'wh-test' noop tests
> ran 'ab' across a 30Mbit link with fairly low latency to
> ghs.google.com... basically the best connection I had available.
>
> Given that these are high-concurrency tests, I wouldn't expect latency
> to be a significant issue - there's a large pending backlog on the
> server in each case.
>
> Jeff
> (sorry, I've been travelling in internet dark zones for the last several days)

Johan Euphrosine (proppy)
Developer Programs Engineer
Google Developer Relations