I can independently verify that the extremely poor (and inconsistent)
performance from Backends hasn't improved. A very similar test server
(collects stats in memory) on a B8 in its own Application can only
handle about ~50 req/sec. I tried hand-delivering the responses to the
computers but the Backend was slightly faster.

I am currently battling Enterprise Support to get a straight answer; so
far I've been repeatedly told to run App Stats against a 15-line,
Go-based server that performs no RPCs. Beyond that, it's generally
recommended to use Pull Queues over relying on direct requests to a
Backend. I'm not sure why a whole layer of indirection on top of HTTP
would be *faster* than raw requests but I've experienced stranger things
on AppEngine.

FWIW, I haven't noticed any task latency regarding Pull Queues and they
seem to have fixed the bug that prevented leasing from the same queue in
parallel. Though you would still need to tolerate frequent false
negatives (lease returns 0 tasks when tasks exist) and TransientErrors.

Cheers,

Tom