This book is very helpful
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059680069X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=059680069X&linkCode=as2&tag=woodmedi-20

And you wouldn't really host static files using python per say, your static
files would be html, images, js, css types.
That book does a good job, and is the reason for some bad reviews, of
describing basic http, html, css stuff

--

Google+ - http://joshuawoodward.com/+
Twitter - @howtohtml5 <http://twitter.com/howtohtml5>