Thanks a lot for all the ideas and input.

It's a custom domain not server via appspot.com.

There are about new 3200 tiles/images every day. The problem seems not to
be a few users request same tile every minute or so.

Maxcdn currently offers first TB for free and next 10 for 700$. But, since
today GoogleMapsMania links to and new referrer are popping up fast. I
calculate 1MB per visitor, that's just another receipt for bankruptcy in
case of getting slashdotted.

I don't get CloudFlare. The Wiki is full of dead links and a change to the
DNS records would solve everything? How do devs access the site then? But
they promise to not charge for bandwidth. If all is true is seems perfect.
I've started to google detailed instruction.

Thanks again. I now believe there are more options to consider and shutting
down the site is no longer on top of the list.

-- Torsten