On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Mobicage <c...@mobicage.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can somebody explain how it is possible that
> - I have 1 "resident" java appengine instance
> - I didnt send any test requests for 90 minutes
> - When I sent the request, the system had to warm up, although I have 1
> resident java appengine.
>
> What does resident exactly mean?

I believe Jon described resident in great details in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/nRtzGtG9790/hLS16qux_04J

"""
Because the scheduler is now treating the reserved instances as
Min-Idle-Instances, what you're describing is expected
behavior. They are intentionally kept idle, and it tries to serve
traffic using the non-reserved instances. Then, if the
non-reserved instances can't keep up, then it will make use of
the reserved instances.
That is, to repeat, the invariant that the scheduler is trying to
maintain here is that your app has at least 3 idle instances.
And if an instance is getting traffic, then it isn't idle. The value
of an idle instance is that it can process requests right-away
if needed, without having to first warmup or do a loading request.

It sounds like what you'd really prefer is something like
Min-Instances, but that's not presently an available option.
"""

The scheduler route traffic to resident idle instance when dynamic
instances can't keep with the traffic and always try to keep Min Idle
Instances in reserve at all times,

I believe it currently need to start at least 1 dynamic instance before
making use of the resident idle capacity.

Johan Euphrosine (proppy)
Developer Programs Engineer
Google Developer Relations