I saw the same behavior (as discussed before in the thread). Many other
people reported this again and again on this mailing-list.
Google has to acknowledge that the current implementation is buggy or the
implementation works but doesn't make any sense in practice.

Bye the way - The problem is not restricted to resident instances. From
time to time the same happens for dynamic instances:

One or more dynamic instances are running and are almost idle  (sometimes
really idle==no request or just one request is served).
Request comes and starts a new dynamic instance, it goes through 30-40
seconds of warmup, then request is served.