Let me see if I understand this correctly: there is currently no way on app
engine to ensure that there is an instance ready to process incoming
requests for an app that has been idle for some period of time. Min idle
instances (labeled as Resident) sit there and do almost nothing while user
facing requests are instead sent to cold instance starts. If true, that
dovetails with what I have seen in the behavior of my app. For python
runtimes with sub-second spinup times, this is no big deal. For java
runtimes with spinup times in double digit seconds it is a deal-breaker of
a "feature".

The problem seems to be that the scheduler thinks sending a request to a
non-existent dynamic instance is a better idea than using the Resident
instance for it's intended purpose: to serve requests when dynamic
instances are unable to. This is probably a corner case born of low traffic
conditions that allow user request serving dynamic instances to despawn.

For low traffic apps, "Resident" instances serve almost no purpose. Better
to do away with them via the slider bars and just set up a script to tickle
the app just often enough to keep one "Dynamic" instance resident.

So, two features to fix this:
First, a slider bar labeled "Minimum Dynamic instances" ;)
Second, a button to enable sending warm-up requests and having them return
before considering an instance for user facing requests.