Thanks for the clarification Chris.  FWIW the blobstore files API (at least
in Python) is also not very reliable (I've seen hangs as often as 1 in 10
file create-writes).  So I'll be migrating my blob writes from blobstore to
GCS as soon as possible!

>From my perspective the blobstore could be deprecated with GCS arrival
EXCEPT the following functionality needs to be preserved:

   1. The ability to upload files to GCS (of course you can already upload
   to GCS but this is currently done via the blobstore API).  SOLUTION:
   gcs.create_upload_url() and  gcs.GCSUploadHandler
   2. The ability to serve and transform images via get_serving_url and
   Image. (again, you can already dynamically serve GCS images but it requires
   a call to blobstore create_gs_key).  SOLUTION: Update the Images API to
   directly integrate with GCS everywhere blobstore does!

With the above 2 solutions... I have no need for blobstore (although I'll
have some code to migrate)!