On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Ben Smithers <smithers....@googlemail.com>
 wrote:

> I ran this three times (10 instances each time) - in all cases the file is
> written with the single character successfully, but a number of the larger
> writes then hang.

So what this looks to me is that GCS and the library are working fine, but
the backend (and more importantly, the urfetch connection to the backend)
are having difficulty piping down the data into GCS servers.

So to speak of this problem in a hypothetical sense, at some point there is
an "inflection point" - there is a certain size of data writing that the
urlfetch is having difficulty with. You were able to write a single
character without a problem, but 1 MB of characters was too much for it. So
I were you, I'd try to find that inflection point and then save to Cloud
Storage in chunks less than that. For example, try to write to Cloud
Storage in chunks of 250 KB, if that works, try writing in chunks of 400
KB, and so on. Of course this is only a bandaid solution - something is
clearly wrong with the underlying urlfetch implementation.

But if I had to make a recommendation, I'd say skip the whole backend
writing thing altogether. It's a waste of money to load up backends for the
purposes of writing (unless you're Bill Gates or similar!). You said
frontend instances seem to be much better in terms of writing - try using
task queues to spawn off frontend requests which are solely dedicated to
writing to Cloud Storage. If you need a temporary place to store data,
write it to the datastore or Cloud SQL until the tasks can get to the GCS
writing.