I realize this is likely a GCS server issue and I don't mean to distact
from that but I'd also like to point out that the SDK's
google-api-python-client (which I assume GCS relies upon under the hood) is
v1.0beta6 from Oct 28, 2011, where the latest release seems to be v1.2 from
Aug 7, 2013.  I assume the runtime versions on the live servers are up to
date :)  PKG-INFO snippets below:

--- Latest PKG-INFO snippet ---
Metadata-Version: 1.1
Name: google-api-python-client
Version: 1.2
Classifier: Development Status :: 5 - Production/Stable

--- App Engine SDK 1.8.5 PKG-INFO snippet ---
Metadata-Version: 1.0
Name: google-api-python-client
Version: 1.0beta6
Classifier: Development Status :: 4 - Beta