Yes, yes, yes there is :)
Don't set max idle instances to 50

It's like saying, I have a shitload of money, so you can keep 50 idle
instances for nothing, just in case something happens

Especially at short bursts, those idle instances fire, and you get to pay
the hourly cost

I think appengine is much more economical than alternative scenarios, if
used right, it's obviously challenging and quirky

"pageview" is also ambiguous, I have 1 rpc / mostly html sections of an
existing app, they did generate millions of views at one point, but I
didn't see any significant increase in my costs

There are many things to consider, for example do you have threadsafe: true
etc. etc.

I used to have idle instances high, it cost more than necessary bills for a
short span of time for me

Also I've recently discovered newly(?) modified weekly discounted hours
functionality, still mourning my losses, the first implementation was
ridiculous, current one is a must have