Since VinnyP and I have hijacked this thread (well let's say we re-directed
it to say GAE is *not* expensive for SMB)... here is an example. A local
bakery started by two sisters in the small town in which I live. They had
no idea how to get up their web site, and got screwed several times by
self-serving companies / devs. I will be helping them, get set up on
GAE (pro bono -- except I am hoping for some free bagels) so that they can
receive emails, publish some dynamic pages, etc. Very simple stuff. They
are AMAZED that this will all be essentially free. I would guess that there
are tens of thousands of similar SMB owners who would be AMAZED to see a
Google ad or communication piece letting them know that GAE can do this.
VinnyP is also mucho correcto re: the Wordpress setup. Essential. Again,
what's the point of having billions in Googles accounts when there are
customer needs like this to be met? I am sure the finance guys have worked
the numbers that show there is little profit or revenue for this.
<max_marketing-speak> However, this is a big brand-burnishing opportunity,
and the halo-effect will likely bring in more devs working on hockey-stick
biz plans that everyone in The Valley holds so dear. Should you all need to
know the optimal system-1 cues to include in your communications, contact
me.</max_marketing-speak> HTH, and Cheers, stevep