> Ok wow not sure how I missed this but it appears that you can enable SSL
>> for the appspot.com URLs?

https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/java/config/webxml#Secure_URLs

Is this true (I think I have run across out of date documentation on some
of these doc sites before)?

We don't really care about hosting the application on our custom domain we
thought that it was a requirement in order to enable SSL for our
application - if we can leave it on the appspot domain and enable SSL there
that would be sufficient.