wrt “off topic” As I have stated before, when I start working on a new project
I always try to understand what is the developers' primary development
environment and use the same or similar. This avoids too much bleeding
especially for bleeding edge technologies. So I never used GAE on windows.

My first apengine environment was on a windows notebook but the notebook was
hosting a VM with the GAE SDK/editor etc. So it was really Linux. Having two
windows systems on one machine is a pain so I started thinking what to do.
Native development on bare metal Linux was not an option for a number of
reasons but I had started seeing a lot of people with MacBooks.

So, three years ago I made the decision and switched to a Mac. I liked the GUI,
the multiple spaces---that allowed to visually contain different projects and
personal work—etc. I also liked that there is UNIX underneath, I can always
open a terminal window and ssh anywhere etc. At that time I figured out how to
set up the SDK to run natively on the mac and have been living happily since
then. I wrote about that here:
http://www.gae123.com/articles/dpwf/#idp140641236359312 Using virtualenv was a
key insight at the time.

For the past week I spent a lot of time—definitely much more than I had
allotted to— to figure out how to run the SDK and my app engine dev environment
on docker. My primary motivation has been that I want to upgrade to the latest
MacOS 10.10 doing a clean install. However, I have been concerned that the
native maces dev. environment will stop working and the last thing I want is to
have to weather a production crisis with an unstable dev. environment.

I think I have accomplished my goal but I will need one more week to make sure
I have not missed anything. I will do a write-up when I feel comfortable with
the new approach.

PK
http://www.gae123.com