OK, those are more current clues to how to complete this process. The Cloud
Endpoints Frameworks for App Engine
<https://cloud.google.com/endpoints/docs/frameworks/java/about-cloud-endpoints-frameworks>
 page
does have different instructions starting with "Generate the OpenApi-spec
configuration file and deploy it as described in the Quickstart
<https://cloud.google.com/endpoints/docs/frameworks/java/quickstart-frameworks-java>
." as the Quickstart instructions are different from the instructions I
used to deploy the Endpoints API backend to App Engine (which works OK with
my Android Endpoints client). Also the Quickstart uses Maven, not Gradle.
And there's a beta.12 version of the endpoints-framework-tools
the Generating a Client Library for Android page says to use, later than
beta.7:
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/google/endpoints/endpoints-framework-tools/

I will start over using that workflow starting point. I hope this newly
revealed way works. These outdated doc pages and processes are a
bewildering maze.

In the meantime, on the hunch that
Cloud Endpoints Frameworks for App Engine Command Line Tool
https://cloud.google.com/endpoints/docs/frameworks/java/endpoints_tool
"The frameworks command line tool is provided in the SDK: endpoints-
framework-tools-2.0.0-beta.7/bin/endpoints-framework-tools."

meant by "the SDK" not the google-cloud-sdk[-app-engine-java] SDK, but
rather the App Engine SDK for Java
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/java/download

 I downloaded that and found in it
appengine-java-sdk-1.9.48/bin/endpoints.sh which is a wrapper on several
tools in that SDK, including what appears to be the actual tool referred to
in
Cloud Endpoints Frameworks for App Engine Command Line Tool
https://cloud.google.com/endpoints/docs/frameworks/java/endpoints_tool

as endpoints-framework-tools , as endpoints.sh takes the <command>
<options> [class-name] arguments
$ endpoints.sh
Command line tool for Google Cloud Endpoints.

usage: <endpoints-tool> <command> <options> [args]

<command> must be one of:

get-discovery-doc
get-client-lib
help

Also its <options> includes
$ endpoints.sh help get-client-lib
get-client-lib

Generates a client library

Usage: <Endpoints tool> get-client-lib <options> <service class>...

  -l LANGUAGE, --language=LANGUAGE
    Sets the target output programming language. Default: java.

which is consistent with the generate_library docs that indicate "-l
[java|gwt|...]" is used to select the target language of the generated code.

But it still doesn't work, and gives a pretty cryptic error:
$ endpoints.sh \
  get-client-lib \
  -l gwt \
  -bs gradle \
  -w
/home/myhome/AndroidStudioProjects/gdx-endpoints/backend/src/main/webapp \
  -o ./wrk
com.blue_green_group.gdxendpoints.backend.endpointsApi.EndpointsApi
Error: com.blue_green_group.gdxendpoints.backend.endpointsApi.EndpointsApi

I get that same error even if I include a classpath flag as documented in
endpoints.sh commandline help:
$ endpoints.sh help get-client-lib
get-client-lib

Generates a client library

Usage: <Endpoints tool> get-client-lib <options> <service class>...

  -cp CLASSPATH, --classpath=CLASSPATH
    Lets you specify the service class or classes from a path other than the
    default <war-directory>/WEB-INF/libs and
<war-directory>/WEB-INF/classes,
    where <war-directory is the directory specified in the war option, or
simply
    ./war if that option is not supplied.

The EndpointsApi class is generated by an @Api() annotation processor, so:
$ endpoints.sh \
  get-client-lib \
  -l gwt  \
  -bs gradle \
  -w
/home/myhome/AndroidStudioProjects/gdx-endpoints/backend/src/main/webapp \
  -o ./wrk \
  -cp
/home/myhome/AndroidStudioProjects/gdx-endpoints/backend/build/classes/endpointsSrc/com/blue_green_group/gdxendpoints/backend/endpointsApi

\
  com.blue_green_group.gdxendpoints.backend.endpointsApi.EndpointsApi
Error: com.blue_green_group.gdxendpoints.backend.endpointsApi.EndpointsApi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/db880a90-774a-41fa-b4c0-8d4343c8f7e1%40googlegroups.com.