In my latest attempt to follow your guidance I followed the "Build a GWT
app" tutorial. Rather than spend many hours proceeding with yet another GWT
project that fails after hours of work despite following the instructions
exactly, I found that the tutorial offers starting with the completed code
that is then configured for deployment to App Engine:
"Deploy to GAE / Set up a project (without Eclipse)":
http://www.gwtproject.org/doc/latest/tutorial/appengine.html

"Alternatively, If you would like to skip the Build a Sample GWT
Application tutorial, then download and unzip this file."
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/detail?name=Tutorial-GettingStarted-2.1.zip

Like all of the GWT instructional projects documentation so far, this one's
link is broken as its project has been archived. But the file is still
available from:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads?page=3
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/google-web-toolkit/Tutorial-GettingStartedAppEngine-2.1.zip

But after editing its various config files according to the tutorial
instructions, and fixing some defects not mentioned in the instructions
(like increasing the javac heap size to 512M, and adding
<threadsafe>true</threadsafe> to appengine-web.xml , and removing old lib/
JARs that have substitute JARs downloaded by Ant, etc) the project launches
in a browser in ant devmode but the browser app fails to include any actual
UI widgets.

Look, I appreciate the pointers to GWT resources. But I've spent hours and
weeks using them only to find they're all obsolete and broken. Is there any
GWT / Endpoints example project that is actually known to work recently? Or
is GWT with Endpoints just not used anymore, so any resources are all
ruined by bitrot and there's no point trying to use them anymore.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/73e17ccc-a1ad-426d-8826-0a2ba5d623a8%40googlegroups.com.