For what it's worth, I like the move to roll everything into a set of
modules for the Cloud SDK you install via it vs separate random tarballs
you download, but the problem was I could never figure out how to get the
new stuff working, while all the old stuff works at was at least matching a
lot of the documentation. It made it seem like the new stuff was still some
weird beta software not meant for general use.

To the uninitiated, it seemed like in the newer package there were
duplicate commands with the same file names that were, confusingly, , in
some cases, scripts and in other cases binaries. And many of them (on Mac
OS) did not have file permissions you would have expected (at least least
at the time, although I am still seeing this with one binary even now). I
would expect all binaries and all scripts to be chmod +x out of the box,
for example, in *NIX parlance.

To be honest though, it would be best if some kind of unity could occur
between "go get" and all the Google App Engine stuff for installing
modules. If Google owns both goland and app engine, why is it treated
separately? You are in the position to make it all one unified system.

In the *NIX world (even outside of Mac OS) there's already the weirdness
between distro packaging vs your programming / scripting language of
choice's packaging (concrete examples: easy_install / pip, npm, whatever
the hell ruby uses, CPAN, etc). So at the very least it would be nice if
there was some degree of parity between Golang's core package manager and
App Engines. But for me, even that is far reaching. The least that could
happen would be that you are able to:

1. Install the Google Cloud SDK
2. Install your language of choices App Engine modules via its package
manager
3. It's then obvious what command you run to spin up a local dev server and
its also obvious what command you run to push your local stuff to a new app
engine instance
4. The toolchain tree should not be convoluted insofar as where all the
executables are so you can source that dir properly in your PATH env vars
5. The installer should have correct executable permissions for any and all
scripts / binaries out of the box

Again, sorry if I'm an idiot and have overlooked something, but I've also
seen plenty of other projects that I'm not certain were backed by any
corporations at all that had obvious setups and HOWTOs in place for getting
started with the bare minimum.

Thanks,
Michael

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/8aa60452-3cb3-4a31-af48-3255c13f6456%40googlegroups.com.