Hi Kaan,

Sorry that you're experiencing these issues.

As Attila-Mihaly Balazs pointed out above, intermittent network issues are
very difficult to debug.

I'm going to grab your support case (16573520) and will follow up privately
to help you get to the bottom of this issue.

To help others who may be experiencing similar issues, it can be useful to
understand the network path. In this case, it is:

Client -> ISP network -> Cloudflare -> Maglev (Google network load
balancer) -> Google Frontend -> Cloud Load Balancer -> App Engine traffic
router -> Appserver -> App

The server side logs are written by the Appserver, but requests can fail at
any layer along the path above, and the errors won't necessarily get
plumbed back to your app.

It helps to have good client-side monitoring to try to figure out the
commonalities between the clients that are experiencing the problems.

On the Google side, we have increasingly good logging and monitoring the
further upstream the request reaches.

The troubleshooting methodology will be to try to get as much information
from you on the problem experienced by clients and then try to figure out
which layer of the stack is most likely to be the culprit. We can then dig
into logs and monitoring at that layer in the stack.

For example, if the client gets an HTTP response from the GFE then it will
be clearly labelled as such in the response headers and we know that the
request reached Google's network.

If the client does not get an HTTP response then the problem most likely
occurred before the GFE.

We recognize that this is a pain point for customers and are looking at
ways to make this easier to debug.

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 6:45:02 AM UTC-7, Kaan Soral wrote:

> For almost 10** years
>
> On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 4:44:02 PM UTC+3, Kaan Soral wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but the main problem is requests not reaching the logs, or appengine
>>
>> By the way, the new support strategy is now loop+exhaust
>>
>> Whenever I open a support ticket, I'm being looped to another place, in
>> my last attempt, I've been told this issue is not covered by SLA's:
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-appengine-downtime-notify/wiXNbETOYgA
>>  (full
>> downtime, and not covered, bizarre) - and I need to open a ticket on the
>> cloud platform sla page
>>
>> Anyway, I'm exhausted
>>
>> This is coming from someone who has been using App Engine *for almost a
>> year**, I've been using App Engine in simpler and simpler ways over the
>> times, as anything complex, and you hit issues that were hard to debug in
>> the past, and with the current support levels, almost impossible, for my
>> next project, I'll try not using App Engine at all, I don't know whether I
>> can dump my experience/knowledge of the platform, but I'll certainly try,
>> it's very saddening :(
>>
>> I really wish we could regain the dynamism of the older days, where we
>> got actual helped and found solutions to the problems, rather than passing
>> the day and ignoring issues

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/2605a2d8-f654-4a93-9236-13c985e05335%40googlegroups.com.
  • [google-appe... Kaan Soral
    • Re: [go... EPS Dev-Team
    • [google... Attila-Mihaly Balazs
      • [go... Kaan Soral
        • ... Kaan Soral
          • ... 'John Lowry' via Google App Engine
            • ... Maximiliano Contartesi
              • ... Kaan Soral
                • ... 'Katayoon (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
                • ... Kaan Soral
                • ... 'Harmit Rishi (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine