Hi,
I've been wondering how GWT should deal with upcoming new features in
HTML5/CSS3.
There are several areas where functionality that has been implemented
in GWT is now also available in the upcoming rendering engines.

GWT is creating highly optimized JavaScript and the JavaScript-engines
are getting better and better... but: My guess is that for example
animations will be smoother when using CSS3 animations instead of
JavaScript based animations.
Same about rounded corners/shadows and stuff alike. In GWT you'll
typically use DecoratedPanel to implement rounded corners with
shadows. But Firefox3.5 and the latest Safari and Chrome releases also
support css-based rounded borders and shadows.

So my proposal would be to use deferred binding to "emulate" these
features on browsers that do not support the latest features (IE8...)
and to use a lightweight css based impl on WebKit/Firefox 3.5.

In my example of DecoratedPanel the 9x9 approach should be kept for IE
and a null impl with css based rounded corners should be available for
Firefox (css have to match the given theme).
Animations that come with the standard widgets should also be able to
fallback to css based animations when available.

I've been also reading some posts about the new datagrid html
extension and thought it might be clever to have a look at the spec
when moving the tables from incubator to trunk to see how far the
concepts match. Would be very cool to have a native table
implementation on WebKit browsers while other fallback to gwt impls.

What do you think?