On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Joel Webber <j...@google.com> wrote:

> CSS Animations:
>   I think we need to actually measure the performance difference before
> deciding whether it's even worth the trouble. I suspect that there may not
> be much of one (though of course I could be wrong), given that it has to do
> the same work, possibly including layout, regardless of how it's specified.
> And CSS animations aren't as general as programmatic ones. That said, there
> might be some utility in having CssResource parse them automatically and
> write the necessary code for you on older browsers (though I haven't
> assessed the feasibility of doing so).

It might be useful however to create an animation library that consists of
declarative types, as well as custom animation types. If you compose
declarative types, you potentially get CSS Animations or SMIL or HTML+TIME
(IE), if you include a custom type (uses Java code) in the composition, then
you get a pure programmatic fallback.

Think of it as a type-safe enumeration pattern, where some types have
deferred bindings (CSS Anim, SMIL, or pure JS) and others are just pure-JS.

> Canvas:
>   This is a nasty case, because Canvas cannot be implemented sanely or
> efficiently on top of VML, which is the only game in IE town. Existing
> canvas-on-VML implementations notwithstanding -- they have wildly different
> performance semantics, which is pretty unacceptable in my opinion.

It's possible to use Flash, but in general, performance can't come close to
matching HTML5 canvas, not just because IE Javascript is so slow, but also
because marshalling/unmarshalling between JS and Flash is slow. A bright
spot is Silverlight, since the JS->Silverlight call mechanism is pretty
efficient. On the downside, you can't depend on Silverlight.

Canvas is also split, since some Canvas impls support text rendering and
others do not.

> SVG:
>   Things are a bit brighter here. There are some things (foreign objects
> and certain gradient patterns come to mind) that SVG can do, which VML
> cannot. But a sane navigation of the common features could lead to a quite
> usable and efficient vector graphics library. There's the existing GWTCanvas
> that Jaime wrote a while back as a starting point (which uses Canvas rather
> than SVG), but it appears to me that SVG performance has gotten a lot better
> since that was written, so it's probably worth reconsidering that approach.

Brad Neuberg is actually working on a fairly complete SVG shim for IE using
Flash, it appears performance and compatibility are good.

> <audio>, <video>:
> I'm not terribly bullish on these. <audio> is at least theoretically
> supportable using Flash, and I could see something like the SoundManager2 js
> library taking advantage of it. But <video> is rife with codec licensing
> problems that seem unlikely to get resolved any time soon (If anyone wants
> to debate the ins and outs of codec licensing, let's *please* do so on
> another thread, because I can tell you from experience that the thread won't
> converge).

There's also the case that doing anything more interesting with <video>
other than playback means accessing frame pixel data, and shipping them from
Flash back into the browser would be *VERY* inefficient and slow.

-Ray