I think it is helpful if we distinguish between optional and mandatory
features.
If GWT would come with a set of widgets or library components that
behave slightly different on different browsers this might not be bad
in general. I'm aware that the general approach of GWT is to write
software once and run it almost everywhere with identical results.
But I can imagine several areas where it may be appropriate to have
e.g. widgets that look even better when the rendering engine supports
3d animations etc. If the developer can use the widget as is and will
get a "default" behavior on all browsers and an extended behavior on
top on some of them, this would be beneficial IMO.
Think of a TabPanel widget that takes advantage of the new funky 3D
animation and transition feature on WebKit and provides a working
default implementation for browsers not supporting CSS3 looking a
little bit more boring.
When it comes to libraries like Database storage it would be helpful
to have a dummy implementation that will do nothing in case when no
persistence is available and to provide some "isAvailable()" method
for each additional feature.