Comment by tamplinjohn:

That is why I asked Ray to write this Mac-specific page in the first place,
as he uses OOPHM on a Mac regularly.  However, most of us do not use the
Eclipse plugin because currently it can't really be used for working *on*
GWT (rather than *with* GWT).

The bug you mention is a "feature", where Eclipse helpfully adds
-XstartOnFirstThread for SWT apps (which is required for them to work, but
breaks Swing apps).  I don't know the precise trigger for that, but it
appears to be if it sees the SWT classes on your classpath, which is why I
suggested removing the SWT classes from gwt-dev-mac.jar and then pointing
the plugin at the hacked GWT install.

We will be removing legacy hosted mode support (and therefore SWT) from GWT
2.0, so this shouldn't be an issue within the next month -- of course that
doesn't help you today.

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/OophmForMacBasedGwtContributors