Comment by brett.wooldridge:

As far as I can tell, my launch configuration has only those things.
Including use of the automatic GWT SDK classpath entry.  So here's my next
question.  When you speak of launch configurations, and not allowing the
eclipse plugin to manage them, you are talking about creating a "raw" [Java
Application] launcher that launches hosted mode, or still using the [Web
Application] launcher, but with the above classpath settings?  Because I
have been doing the later.  Now I'm looking at doing the former.   Right
track?

For more information:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/OophmForMacBasedGwtContributors