Ok, I had a look and just remembered why I used more calls to resize
methods.

The GridParser walks through the Grid and on the fly calculates the
size. So if it comes to an element that doesn't fit into the current
grid element it expands it (either by number of columns, or rows -
depends which one is necessary).

I thought it would be better to calculate the grid size as I walk
through the grid compared to walking it first time to get the size and
then once more to populate the elements.

So if we had a grid like this
1, 2, 4
5, 6
7, 8, 9, 10

The method would make three calls to resize columns when walking the
first row. Then expand to fit the next row and then add elements as
along as their number is less then 3. (as the current size of the grid
is 2, 3). The there would be one more resize rows call to expand for the
next row and one more resize columns call to resize columns to fit in
number 10. So in the end you would end up with grid size 3, 4. Does that
make sense?

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/154810/show