Hello Jim,

> My favorite IDE is certainly not eclipse, and probably not the best to use
> with Django. The server side can be quickly written and tested independent
> of the client side. I consider that a plus.

You misunderstood what gregor meant. Gregor meant that if you have a
Java back-end, you can seamlessly debug your application going from
the client side to the server side using any Java IDE (Eclipse,
NetBeans, IDEA, etc). You cannot do this if your front-end is GWT and
back-end is Python.

> JSON can be made as fast and json libraries for python already exist.
> So, I seriously doubt anyone is writing JSON serialization from scratch.
> Your server side code probably only needs to be modified with
> self.data.to_json.

GWT-RPC is actually faster and smaller then JSON (unless you use JS
overlays, which just calls eval). See this:
http://sites.google.com/site/io/gwt-and-client-server-communication

> Using a restful approach, you don't pass objects between client and server.
> The stateless server serves up requests for data. No need to complicate
> the issue.

If you're using a front-end agnostic approach (i.e. JSON based), then
you wouldn't pass objects between the client and server. However, if
you are able to take advantage of GWT-RPC, with a Java back-end, you
would be able to pass objects to the Java server for persistence and
get objects back for data requests. This has huge advantages in code
maintenance and ease of use.

> Django provides a good ORM and an MVC framework. With it, about
> the only thing you will need to account for is that you support json
> format requests.

That's an extra layer that you wouldn't have to do if you just used
Django.

> I would use the independence of GWT to let you choose a backend that
> supports your experience. If server side development with Java is as
> slow as client side development with GWT, I would suggest that there
> are better alternatives for the server side.

I'd argue the Java back-end has a large number of very high quality
libraries that make server side development easy and efficient.
However, if your experience lies in Django and Python development, you
might be better off with a Django solution. Java back-ends are great
for enterprise quality applications. However, if you're hacking
something together, Python is better choice.

GWT development is only slow if you are unfamiliar with it. Besides,
GWT is a toolkit, not a framework. It's hard to compare it to Django,
which already includes many features like validation, etc. GWT can be
used to build said frameworks, and from there GWT apps would be a lot
easier and faster to make.