Thank you very much.

For posterity: I compiled the my.module.server package (with
dependencies) and exported to %TOMCAT_HOME%/webapps/ServerTest/WEB-INF/
lib, where I also copied gwt-servlet.jar (a dependency) from
GWT_HOME.  I also created the WEB-INF/web.xml file with the servlet
mapping.

Now, I understand the web.xml and dependencies need to be updated with
service changes, but this method also means that changing server-side
code requires a server restart (which embedded-serer Hosted Mode
requires anyways) along with a newly-minted server-side code extract.
Don't get me wrong, you're my new favorite person, I just want to make
sure this is the best option.  Am I correct?