Having an automated build and deploy process is just a good idea. It saves
you from the tedium and risk of manually moving files around. I would just
as soon choose not to automate my builds as I would choose not to keep my
project in a versioned repository.
I image that the topic of build process isn't mentioned in GWT's
documentation because it really isn't pertinent. Your project should have a
build process regardless of whether or not you use GWT and the use of GWT
doesn't preclude any specific choice of build process.

Contributions of all kinds from non-Google-employees are always welcome. If
there's something you think would be helpful to add to the documentation you
can post it here or open an issue in the issue tracker.