Nathan,

The use case is indeed not what you think it is. In your case I could
just deliver the main application as a widget library and build the
final application from this jar.

It is not possible to compile both the main application and child
applications in one unit because these are developed by different
groups/companies. The sub applications are installed separately from
the main applications and the main application is updated separately
from the sub applications as well.

When you create a portal you don't always write/compile all the
portlets that are being deployed. Per installation the version and
type of portlets can also be different so it is just impossible to
deliver everything as one big application. We do not host the service
either, so the portal is delivered as an ear that will allow appserver
admins to configure the installed applications at runtime. So we just
don't know what applications are used and they are not even from our
group/company.

David