@Ian

So is this the default new behaviour?
The IBM guide I posted says I should get the hosted mode console if I
use the GWT sdk. Is this simply out of date?
Incidentally, if I copy and paste the URL into a browser, the page
fails to load.

I also prefer the hosted mode console for two reasons. I can restart
Jetty in one click which rather than rerunning the configuration.
I got a debug tab in the hosted console for each browser and because
I'm working on a chat like app, this was useful.