Okay, next try (I've read your post this time ;)).

You want to cast a JavaScriptObject to an Element. You can... but it's
a bad idea. A Widget needs an Element because it offer some DOM
manipulation. Providing a JSO may lead to strange behavior. You need
to write a clean GWT wrapper around jqPlot.

For your current problem, "$ is not defined", are you sure you have
included the jqPlot library? Using the FireBug's console, can you
access the "$" (try "typeof($)")?

Olivier