For the "$", maybe the library is not loaded when you try to create
your chart.

As I told before, you need to write a wrapper. This wrapper create the
div needed by jqPlot and add an unique ID to it. This ID is used as
the first argument to "jqPlot" JavaScript function. But you can't
create your chart in your Widget constructor. The div is not attached
to the DOM so jqPlot will no find it. You need to create your chart
when onLoad is called. This can look like (not tested):

class JqPlot extends Widget {
  // Used to generate unique ID
  private static int count = 0;

  public JqPlot() {
    setElement(Document.get().createDivElement());
    // Add a unique id to your div
    getElement().setId("__jsplot__gwt__" + count++);
  }

  @Override
  public void onLoad() {
    // Now the div is attached to the DOM, jqPlot will find it
    createGraph(getElement().getId());
  }

  private native void createGraph(String id) /*-{
    $.jsPlot(id, ....);
  }-*/;
}

But you need many more work. You need to handle multiple call to
onLoad. You need also to wrap all arguments needed by jsPlot and cache
them into your Widget until you create the chart...

You problem is not "jqPlot and MVP", it's just "jqPlot and GWT".

Olivier