What is the problem with Shiro ? I am using it for security management with
my application and we did not have encountered any problem with its
integration. It was only few lines of code :

public void login(String username, String password) {
  Subject currentUser = SecurityUtils.getSubject();
  if (!currentUser.isAuthenticated()) {
 UserIdPasswordToken token = new UserIdPasswordToken(username, password);
 currentUser.login(token);

Then, I use some annotation binded with guice on server side :

@RequiresPermissions
@RequiresRoles
@RequiresUser
@RequiresGuest
@RequiresAuthentication

And I've got a filter that catch all Shiro Exceptions and transforms them to
a gwt client "understandable" exception. Then, as soon as a Security
Exception is sent on the client, I redirect user on a login popup.

I did not tried Acegi because I prefered to use guice on server side than
spring.