Hi Jeff,

I installed eclipse by unpacking the tar archive in /usr/local/eclpse
as root.

I started eclipse as an unpriviledged user and also installed the GWT
plugin in this context.

When restarting eclipse (during installation process) the following
message appears on the shell:
"Job found still running after platform shutdown.  Jobs should be
canceled by the plugin that scheduled them during shutdown:
org.eclipse.epp.usagedata.internal.gathering.services.UsageDataService
$1"

Starting eclipse as root (after installing GWT as an unpriviledged
user) does not change anything.
Starting eclipse as root (after installing GWT as root) results in GWT
is present!
Starting eclipse as normal user (after the steps above) results in GWT
is present!

But:

The GWT projects are still shown with a red exclamation mark and
starting them with "Run As Web Application" results in:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/google/
gwt/dev/GWTShell

This does not make fun. :-/

Magnus