On 07/17/2010 08:23 PM, Magnus wrote:
> Hi Rajeev!
>
>>> I always installed eclipse as root, i. e. extracting the tar archive
>>> as root into /usr/local/eclipse and changing the ownership of all
>>> files and folders to root.
>>
>> You shouldn't need to change the ownership. If you're really extracting the
>> files as root, then they are already owned by root.
>
> No:
> drwxr-sr-x  3 root        root  4096 2010-07-18 05:07 .
> drwxr-sr-x 12 root        root  4096 2010-07-12 19:10 ..
> drwxrwsr-x  9 Debian-exim users 4096 2010-06-17 17:15 eclipse

Well, it's pretty clear that you're not root when the files were
extracted. Somehow your UID is Debian-exim:users. That's not good.

> I would not have changed the ownership if it were root already.
> However, changing the ownership to root should not make a difference
> if it were root already.

Agreed.

>>> I always used eclipse as a normal user by calling /usr/local/eclipse/
>>> eclipse.
>>
>> May I recommend using update-alternatives? You can keep several Eclipse
>> versions side-by-side
>
> Thank you for this recommendation, but I don't see a relation to the
> upgrade problem?

It's an installation recommendation that affects subsequent upgrades.

It also provides a consistent view of your operating environment in that
programs always start from /usr/bin, as opposed to /usr/local

>>> I always install new eclipse plugin within eclipse running as a normal
>>> user.
>>
>> That's probably the source of the problem, Install the plugin as root.
>> Always update Eclipse as root.
>
> Ok, this sounds comprehensible.
>
> Do you mean that during the upgrade files are downloaded and stored
> under the eclipse directory folder, which is owned by root and that
> the files cannot be written?

Running as a regular user, I *think* eclipse writes plugins into your
local directory.

> Then, how do you explain that:
> - the initial installation of the plugin always works
> - I never received an error message caused by file permission problems
> - the upgrade only failed with GWT?

After seeing a directory in /usr/local owned by Debian-exim, I hesitate
to explain anything.

>> This means starting Eclipse as root, and running "add new software"
>
> Is this documented somewhere? It seems strange to me that Eclipse
> should not be able to check if it's running as root or check the file
> permissions when the user initiates an upgrade and present an error
> message to the user.

It's not documented in the sense that it's an elaboration on workstation
management. I don't know Eclipse well enough to comment on the "...
running as root..." check. For myself, that's how I manage software
installation on this box. Unless software is installed using apt, I
install it as root and upgrade it as root. This includes Eclipse,
FireFox, Thunderbird and some Perl packages.

>>> This always worked, except with the GWT plugin. I would be glad if I
>>> knew why...
>>
>> I think that 3.6 tightened up on some permissions. I'm not really sure.
>
> Ok.

What other plugins do you use? Are there issues w/ those?

> Thank you!
>
> Magnus

Cheers,
jec