On 07/19/2010 07:44 AM, Magnus wrote:
> Well, I just found that tar tvfz <eclipse-archive> shows "tomcat/
> users" as the owner of the files.
>
> I think that this UID corresponds to my "Debian-exim" id.
>
> However, I extract the tar files with "tar xvfz".
>
> Magnus

OK. I can reproduce what you're seeing.

I cannot explain, even when you install the GPE into the archive, it
doesn't work. When you install as root, it does (did I get that right?)

One further question (I think the answer to this is "yes") do you delete
the eclipse directory before installing? That's one of the reasons I use
update-alternatives. After extracting the archive, I move the directory
to the specific version: "mv eclipse eclipse-3.6" and use
update-alternatives to point to that directory. In this way, I can be
sure of a clean installation, and I also have a backup version in case
things go sideways.

Anyway, after extracting the archive as "tar xvzf <archive>" the
directory is owned by root:root, but the ownership of files in that
hasn't changed (still tomcat/users).

So, I used the following tar command
tar --owner=root --no-same-owner -vxzf
/tmp/eclipse-jee-helios-linux-gtk.tar.gz