I had similar problem like Chris.

the problem was Eclipse/M2Eclipse conflict.

M2EClipse would overwrite Eclipse classpath, and
things would work and stop working at random.
especially after mvn clean.

It also affects JUnit,
if you google Eclipse Maven JUnit ClassNotFound,
you come across many issues that are still open

this is nothing new, many posts dating back to 2008 with the same
problem.
many hacks were proposed and I tried them all for two days,
with no luck, I then switched to IntelliJ and everything worked just
fine right away.

the reason I kept pushing for two days to make Eclipse work,
was to take advantage of CodePro Analytix, but unfortunately it is
only available for Eclipse,
and Clover by Atlassian is , well, pricey :")

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-132
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-2121
http://rbtech.blogspot.com/2009/09/eclipse-galileo-javalangclassnotfoundex.html
http://blog.andrewbeacock.com/2008/11/classnotfoundexception-when-running.html