An alternative may be to allow something more central than the menu
take care of showing and hiding the WidgetPopup:

Let's say you have one main Shell (uibinder for the main layout)
You could create a new Event (ShowWidgetpopupEvent) and declare the
handler and have the main Shell implement the new handler

Then the menu just needs an instance of the eventBus to fire off the
new event. and any other component can also show the WidgetPopup by
firing the event

This may be a little more sound from an Architecture stand point and
even then I doubt it is the best. Just depends on how you are
implementing everything else (the more sound your app already is, the
more sound your implementation can be)