Further info: this morning, I re-tried my experiment with a fresh
install of Helios, 3.6 - same setup, and it worked!

A few things are different - so any one of them or a combination of
them might have fixed it:

1) It's a few days later - so maybe whatever was wrong is fixed now
2) I am in a different location, using a different Internet connection
(been travelling)

I am not using any proxies - so I don't think proxy settings would be
the issue.