OK, I feel as if I'm solving this problem via Rubber duck
debugging<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging>;
sitting down to phrase my question reveals a potential solution:

   - create MyRequestFactoryServlet that extends RequestFactoryServlet (I
   didn't realize this was an option; I thought the relevant methods therein
   were marked final, but that's not the case)
   - override doGet()/doPost to check the user's session for a
   "userIsLoggedIn" object (which you can set via RPC or similar at your login
   page)
   - throw an exception (or perhaps redirect) if the user is not logged in
   - use MyRequestFactoryServlet in your web.xml rather than
   RequestFactoryServlet

I think this will work, but I wonder if there is not a more official
solution, given that there used to be a UserInformation class that seemed to
address this issue.