****RESOLVED****

When I created my custom GWT Project, the <project>.gwt.xml file did
not originally include a rename tag.  In my development, I added that
tag AFTER I had already generated my initial test with my static
content.  It appears that the rename attribute is read by the GWT
Compiler to generate the client side javascript and html files.
However, the original javascript and html files remained in the war
directory under the default path and were being packaged with my
webapp which included the unmodified entry point html file which
pointed to the old path and therefore the static content was being
displayed even though all of my java code was updated and packaged
correctly along with the new javascript and html files which existed
under the new path as indicated in my rename attribute.

Now, my project works both in the App Engine for development and when
I deploy to my external Tomcat instance.  I don't understand why the
internal App Engine would find the new path for the javascript and
html but now they are both in sync which is what I needed.

Thanks to all who responded.  I've learned a great deal through this
process and now have a much better understanding of GWT.

Thanks,
KGD