Hi Jeff,

we are not leaving issues as open since we want open issues to be a list of
stuff we are actually working on. Issues have been left open on the GWT
issue tracker for several years now leaving many people unable to find
interesting work from the issue tracker.
On the other hand clearly stating that we are not working on something will
leave us with less users frustrated who won't feel like we are not
addressing issues. We had many open issues that were not addressed in
several years and people got angry about this.
Like every project we have to steer our resources into the right direction
to make the best product we can possibly make, so there is no way to
address every issue. We have to pick our battles.

Me personally I want to have a small amount of issues in PatchesWelcome
that external people can work on. (Having different levels of difficulty).
I have a clear vision of how our issue tracking should work and I will make
a proposal to the GWT steering committee about it once the clean up is
finished.
To me cleaning up the issue tracker is Google's job, but maintaining it
going forward should be driven by the steering committee. It would just not
be fair to handover a bloated tracker for the steering committee to start
with. So I put in the effort.

We have seen a lot of people stepping up and producing patches for issues
they care about, helping those people to pick their battles is very
important.
So if you really like something in GWT that we did not prioritize on you
can always provide a patch and we start from there.

Hope this little background helps
Daniel