Il 04/06/2013 11:11, Thomas Broyer ha scritto:
 1. the issue tracker has been neglected for years, leading to many
    issues open and never triaged; we need to clean that up
 2. we can't realistically spend half an hour for each and every of
    these issues: 1500 issues or so would take 750 manĂ—hour, and nobody
    works full-time just on this (that'd be 100 workdays, i.e. 5 months,
    if one person were dedicated full-time verifying issues
    *before* closing them; surely we can spend everyone's time better)
 3. so as Ray Cromwell says
    <https://plus.google.com/111204862432674062264/posts/A2SDJXAAZJ2>,
    the only viable option is to "crowd source": when in doubt, close
    the issue and see if someone complains, and *then only* spend time
    on that issue.

I'm still convinced that, even if we accept that 3. is the only viable solution, this way of conducing it (that is, closing bugs without any explanation) is not so "nice" towards the people who opened the bugs. Unless you consider it an explanation to force people to look at n sources of information (two GWT groups, Google+ posts, conference sessions, web pages, ...) to realize why their reports were "assumed stale", a simple explanation in the bug reports would have been enough. This is what I saw in other similar cases (I think of Eclipse TPTP project, for example, when they decided to put it in "maintenance mode", but it's just an example).

However I still think that bug reports review and fixing is also a way to improve a product, so I don't think that 5 months of such an activity would be wasted time. Unless, again, we think that most bug reports are invalid... and this sounds to me as a quite debatable assumption.

tracker. On that specific issue, I could change the status to NotPlanned
(so it's still closed, but removes the word "stale") but would it change
anything to the way the issue is handled after that? No. (though if you
think NotPlanned would be better than AssumedStale, I can make that change).

There's a difference, indeed: the attitude. If you don't care, that's another story.

Mauro