Hi,

It may be something to do with disk geometry.  Create a new blank freedos
image on your iscsi target then try putting in a bootable freedos install
cd and boot from a bootable gpxe usb key using this gpxe script:

#!gpxe
dhcp net0
set keep-san 1
sanboot iscsi:192.168.52.60::::iqn.2010-12.hu.mavrt.bbf.fc:fdos-disk

What happens here is your pc will boot from usb with gpxe on it, gpxe will
try to boot from your empty iscsi disk but it cannot because it is empty
and then it will fallback to booting from your cd.  Your empty iscsi disk
will be seen by freedos as a new blank hard drive and will format it
properly when installing to it.

The instructions are similar to the installation instructions for windows
2k8:
http://etherboot.org/wiki/sanboot/win2k8_iscsi_install

br,
Quinn

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Ruzsinszky Attila <
ruzsinszky.att...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to test, setup, learn, use a virtual environment.
>
> I've got a very simple scenario. Booting a simple FreeDOS.
>
> FreeDOS is on an iSCSI target which comes from FreeNAS.
> DHCP server is a SuSE 9.3 Linux.
> Client is a 4.x Virtualbox which is running under WinXP.
>
> Almost everything is ready but when I try to boot FreeDOS,
> I got: Error loading operating system.
> Of course I'm not sure the iSCSI target image is correct. I
> did it half a year before.
>
> The messages when the system is booting:

> gPXE initialising devices...
>
> gPXE 1.0.1 -- Open Source Boot Firmware -- http://etherboot.org
> Feature: AoE HTTP iSCSI DNS TFTP bzImage COMBOOT ELF Multiboot NBI PXE
> PXEXT
>
> net0: 08:00:27:2c:61:a6 on PCI00:03:0 (open)
>   [Link:up, TX:0 TXE:0 RX:0 RXE:0]
> DHCP (net0 08:00:27:2c:61:a6).... ok
> net0: 192.168.52.22/255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.52.254
> Booting from root path
> "iscsi:192.168.52.60::::iqn.2010-12.hu.mavrt.bbf.fc:fdos-disk"
> Registered as BIOS drive 0x80
> Booting from BIOS drive 0x80
> Error loading operating system
>
> I "mounted" that disk under XP with iSCSI initiator without problem.
> The image was create from balder10 image and there are just a KERNEL.SYS
> and
> some inrelevant files and directories. I think the problem is related to
> the
> disk image which was created from balder10 image.
> The question: how can I make a bootable FreeDOS image under Linux and
> how can I check it in a virtual environment?
>
> The further goal would be a boot server setup installing Linuxes and other
> OSs from network with PXE.
>
> TIA,
> Ruzsi

Best regards/Med venlig hilsen,