On Aug 30, 2011, at 7:48 AM, <grass-dev-requ...@lists.osgeo.org>
<grass-dev-requ...@lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:48:53 +0100
> From: Glynn Clements <gl...@gclements.plus.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] where to store GRASS settings: GISRC and wx
>        settings
> To: GRASS developers list <grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org>
>

> Hamish wrote:
>
>> ** PUT NEW DEVELOPMENT IN TRUNK AND LEAVE 6.x WELL ENOUGH ALONE
>
> +1
>
> Can we please make an effort to "finish" the 6.x branch. I'd really
> like to see 7.0.0 released before the heat death of the universe.
>
> --
> Glynn Clements <gl...@gclements.plus.com>

+1

We should release GRASS 6.4.2 and end the version 6 series. Then we can focus
on what is needed to move to an RC for GRASS 7. I don't think that there is
anything in GRASS 6.5 that is not either in GRASS 6.4 OR in GRASS 7, but it is
a hybrid of the two versions and this is something we should avoid because of
the increasing difficulty of keeping it in sync with either 6.4 or 7.

To release 6.4.2 this, we may need to roll back some in-development features
like the graphical modeler and interactive cartography module that have crept
into GRASS 6.4 from GRASS 7. These are really great new tools and I strongly
support their addition to GRASS, but they are still in development and should
not have been added to the 6.x line.

GRASS 7 is a really good piece of software. But if we do not finish 6, it will
never see the light of day.

Michael