Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> There is a handy tool called HEG [HDF-EOS To GeoTIFF Conversion Tool] with
> which one can convert HDF files into .tif.
..
> The problem now is that whenever I define the parameters for Transverse
> Mercator projection (when selected to be the custom projection of the
> output) I get an output half-way correct... By that I mean that the output
> has following projection information assigned:
>
> Layer Spatial Reference System:
> +proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=24 +k=0.999600 +x_0=500000 +y_0=0
> +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs
>
> What I would like to have is
> +proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=24 +k=0.999600 +x_0=500000 +y_0=0
> +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=-199.87,74.79,246.62,0,0,0,0 +units=m +no_defs

you can use gdal_translate to (re)set that info in the geotiff, if the data is
correct but the projection text is wrong. More likely it is correct, just not
what you want, so you would use gdalwarp or GRASS's r.proj to reproject to your
target projection if HEG won't let you go there directly. How close are the two
projections?

Jose Gomez-Dans wrote:
> I have written a small tool in Python that makes use of gdal (among
> others) to subset and reproject HDF-EOS files. into GeoTIFFFs (or
> GRASS images, for that matter)
>
> I keep meaning to upload it somewhere, but... It is fairly trivial to
> do though. There's good information on that in the gdal mailing list.

You could put it on the wiki page, on its own and/or on the wiki add-ons
page.   http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_AddOns

Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> Reprojecting and subsetting of HDF-EOS grid data is, indeed,
> straight-forward, and usually could be done with, e. g.,
> gdalwarp(1).  Not so for the swath data.

Could the swath data be reprojected using gdalwarp's -tps thin plate spline
function? ISTR that's what -tps was commisioned for. (??)

Hamish