Let me add this one comment, perhaps the last in this thread:
Sainath's problem is not that he frames issues in an ideological frame work.
Nor is it that he sensationalizes issues way beyond the limits. The issue is
that he dishes out wrong data and outright lies as eternal truth :
http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20051021&fname=surjitbhalla&sid=1
Is this a manifestation of the 'been there, seen it' arrogance? Maybe.

Best regards,
Murali