The link given in Murali's last post is Surjit Bhalla's Web response (Less
than a grain of
truth<http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20051021&fname=surjitbhalla&sid=1>)
to Sainath's article "Lost the
compass?<http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20051017&fname=CP+Sainath&sid=1>"
appeared in Outlook magazine in Oct 2005.

Sainath's article was all about the Indian Media's ignorance towards the
Indian poor, and its support for elitism. In fact the article was excerpted
from the book released later, *The Indian Media: Illusion, Delusion and
Reality'* (Edited by Asha Rani Mathur. Published by Rupa & Co, New Delhi).

Sainath, examined how the media portrayed a shining India, and used up its
time and space in reporting the glories (both glorified achievements and
glorified drops - read sensex) of India, selectively excluding debates on
issues such as the Growing suicide rate among farmers, Distress migration
from villages, Foodgrain availability, India's rank in Human Rights Index,
etc. Issues that should have otherwise been concerns of vigilant
journalists. With examples taken from lives of rich and poor across the
length and breadth of India, Sainath presented certain "giant processes"
gripping the countryside, but gained almost no attention in the Indian
media. Sainath's sample of giant processes included Social inequality,
Growing hunger among the poorer sections, Privatisation of basic services,
Assaults on the livelihoods of the poor, Forced displacements of people,
etc. The cases he presented to illustrate these processes were further
substantiated with statistical data/reports from regional, national and
international sources. Sainath comments that the Indian media have lost
their compass, hence the compassion. Today we have McMedia, that tastes
everywhere the same.

Now, let us see what Surjit Bhalla's article talks about. The article that
is given here as an example of how Sainath "dishes out wrong data and
outright lies as eternal truth".

Surjit's article pretends to attend Sainath's grief that the Rural India is
"a giant canvas begging the media to do a portrait, many portraits. We
failed that challenge—and resoundingly", by quoting it before starting his
scrutiny. However, he never discusses any of the issues that Sainath has
illustrated. Instead, he narrows down that whole subject to a single issue
of "Foodgrain availability" by stating:

> But the one "woman bites dog fact" of Sainath that grabs genuine attention
> is his startling and shocking claim that "foodgrain available per Indian
> fell almost every year in the [economic] 'reforms' period. And by 2002-03,
> it was less than it had been at the time of the great Bengal famine [of
> 1943]".

In fact, though Sainath had mentioned the issue Foodgrain availability
should have been a matter of concern for the media, he never discussed it in
detail. Sainath's discussion on foodgrain availability was limited to those
two sentences that Surjit has quoted. The article "lost the compass?" was 8
pages long.

One may argue that Surjit wanted to point out one factual error that Sainath
(deliberately) made.

Surjit starts to analyse the Foodgrain issue by using Engel's observations:

> The fact that the consumption of foodgrains is highly income inelastic—i.e.
> consumption of foodgrains increases very little with income, once an
> individual is sufficiently beyond starvation levels—is a well-known
> occurrence, at least since the time of 19th century German statistician
> Ernst Engel, ...

> This is a stylised fact which, after centuries of growth among centuries of
> countries, has not been violated. Engels' law does not state that absolute
> per capita consumption declines with income growth, only that the rate of
> increase slows down.
>
> An absolute decline of consumption does occur with many goods —these are
> called "inferior" goods, and foodgrains is just such an inferior good.

and states that:

> So Sainath's point that foodgrain consumption declined in the 1990s would
> be consistent with the poor actually having higher incomes after the
> reforms!

While it is questionable to apply the criteria "once an individual is
sufficiently beyond starvation levels" in a country where 6000 children die
of starvation
everyday<http://www.ibnlive.com/news/in-booming-india-hunger-kills-6000-kids-daily/62220-17.html>,
and the way Engel's law interpreted here can be debated, Surjit himself
states in the following  paragraphs:

> Per capita consumption (strictly speaking, availability) of foodgrains
> averaged 364 grams per capita per day in the 1950s, and 391, 398, 420, 441
> and 419 in subsequent decades with the last number being for the period 2000
> to 2003 (all data from the widely and easily available Government of India,
> 2004-05 Economic Survey, Table S-17).
>
> Contrary to Sainath, per capita availability of foodgrains peaked in the
> decade of the reforms. What about the particular year Sainath mentions,
> 2002-03? It turns out that in that year the availability was a high 457
> grams a day!

So the purpose of the Surjit's argument is clear! Declaining foodgrain
consumption means poor have become richer - Sainath is wrong. But the
foodgrain consumption actually not declained - So Sainth is wrong again!
Whether this way or that way!

In a much detailed analysis of the case that both Sainath and Surjit
presented, one of the readers of both articles does this interesting
observation:

> Bhalla has a relatively stronger case that Sainath failed to report
> correctly on the second "fact." However, that too is murky and unclear. The
> government statistics that Bhalla cites, to the extent they are reliable,
> show an erratic pattern of net availability of food grain measured in
> grams/day. From 1990 to 2003, that figure zigzagged from 476, 510 to 469 to
> 464 to 471 to 495 to 475 to 503 to 477 to 465 to 416 to 494 to 436. Bhalla
> using decennial averages to argue a steady improvement. However, Sainath, if
> he were capable, could argue that in 1954 figure of 458 hadn't improved
> substantially despite the intervening "green revolution." If he were
> economically and statistically literate, he could also point out that there
> is an unmistakable trend in substituting of cheaper "cereals" for costly
> "pulses" in this time period in calculating this figure. No wonder Disraeli
> said, "there are lies, damned lies and statistics."
>
> - (from the post by the reader OLD MAC, UNITED STATES)

In fact, Both Sainath's and Surjit Bhalla's articles were well debated by
the readers (net edition). Links to both articles and discussions are given
at the end of this post.

I am sorry this is a long post. But, when Surjit says "journalists have a
responsibility to not betray the trust, or at least not to betray it so
blatantly.", and Murali forwards it with a note "he dishes out wrong data
and outright lies as eternal truth", it seemed important to examine. Was it
Sainath actually betraying and lying?.

Links:

(Readers discussions in Outlook net edition are presented in the descenting
order they are posted, with latest appearing first. So read from last page,
upwards. Links given are for last pages)

Lost the compass? - Sainath, Oct 17, 2005
http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20051017&fname=CP+Sainath&sid=1
Readers feedback
http://www.outlookindia.com/rantsmag.asp?fodname=20051017&fname=CP%20Sainath&sid=1&pn=7
Less than a grain of truth - Surjit S. Bhalla, Oct 21, 2005
http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20051021&fname=surjitbhalla
 Readers Feedback
http://www.outlookindia.com/rantsmag.asp?fodname=20051021&fname=surjitbhalla&sid=1&pn=3
In Booming India, Hunger Kills 6,000 Kids Daily. CNN-IBN, Mar 29, 2008

--
Regards

Abdulkareem
അബ്ദുല്കരീം