I tried my level best to initiate a discussion on the spiritual rights of
the Adivasis around Sabarimala. And I was also inspired when the Adivasi
leader came out and articulated that the Adivasis have the rights over this
temple and not the upper caste Brahminical forces. He articulated very
clearly that the Tantri Brahmins who came from Andhra only in 1902 and
before that the pujaris were Adivasis. That argument was great. But then he
came out with a spelling mistake. He said that as per the Adivasi tradition
also, women can not enter the temple. Now, either this guy does not know
the real adivasi tradition or it is not their Appa. The real question is
pointed at people like us. What is wrong with us? Universally, no
indigenous faith restricts women from worshipping their Gods. And what the
hell is Adivasi temple. Adivasis do not construct their Gods and prison
their Gods inside four walls. That is the tradition. If there is no wall,
then any man, woman, or anybody from any caste, creed, sexuality or
nationality can approach that God without any restriction. Our present
Adivasi leader is articulating a Brahminical consciousness, because the
spiritual colonialism of the upper castes in Sabarimala started much before
1902, though the transfer of power from Adivasi priest to a Brahminical
priest took place only in 1902.